ISEA is the trade association for manufacturers of workplace protective apparel.
Members of the group are leaders in the design, manufacture and marketing of all types of protective garments, including chemical and liquid protective clothing from disposable coveralls to total encapsulating suits, fire and heat resistant clothing, thermal protective apparel, and accessories. These products and the materials of which they are made are subject to rigorous performance standards, and their use is mandated by regulation in the US and around the world.
ISEA members have a seat at the table when standards are being written that affect their products; they get a first look at changes in standards, they influence the development of new standards, and they are kept informed of developments on standards around the world. The ANSI/ISEA 101 standard establishes sizing and labeling requirements for single-use coveralls. In 2012, a new industry standard for thermal protective apparel was published. ISEA members are represented on ASTM, NFPA and international standards committees that affect the protective clothing industry.
ISEA gives members a full-time Washington office. They are kept up to date on important developments affecting their companies, and are identified with a respected and responsible organization that is an advocate for protective apparel standards and regulations.
ISEA members use the association to learn from each other, and work together to improve markets. Information services are tuned to member companies’ needs.
In addition to bringing companies together in the Protective Apparel Group, ISEA membership is a link to the larger world of safety equipment, both in the U.S. and around the world. Companies receive regular bulletins and reports on standards, government policies and proposals, and market intelligence. They participate in the association’s annual Executive Summit and Fall Meeting, where the industry comes together to share information and insight. Members’ products are listed in the searchable online Buyers Guide, and promoted in the quarterly Protection Update newsletter.
For more than 75 years, ISEA has set the standard for personal safety equipment manufacturers, supporting and promoting the business interests of its member companies, united in the goal of protecting the health and safety of people worldwide.
Protective Apparel Standards
American National Standards from ISEA:
- ANSI/ISEA 101-2014 – Limited-Use and Disposable Coveralls – Size and Labeling Requirements
- ANSI/ISEA 201-2012 – Classification of Insulating Apparel Used in Cold Work Environments
ISEA is also represented on the following standards committees and panels:
- ANSI Z49 – Safety in Welding and Cutting
- ANSI Z10 – Occupational Health and Safety Systems
- ASTM E54 – Committee on Homeland Security Applications, E54.4 – PPE
- ASTM F23 – Committee on Protective Clothing
- NFPA Technical Correlating Committee – Fire & Emergency Service Protective Clothing & Equipment
- NFPA Technical Committee on Hazardous Material Protective Clothing & Equipment
- NFPA Technical Committee on Fire Service Occupational Safety & Health
- US TAG to ISO TC 94/SC13 – Protective Clothing
- US TAG to ISO TC 94/SC14 – Fire Fighters Personal Equipment